Saturday, October 17, 2009

McIver's 6th Birthday

Happy 6th Birthday to our precious little boy, McIver! I can't believe that he turns 6 today - and he can't either. He's just been beside himself all day.

The day started with his room being decorated to celebrate his big day. Olivia woke up early so she could help me.
The artist wanted to be in a picture with the Birthday Boy. You can tell she had only been up for a few minutes!
McIver was all smiles when he opened up his gift from Olivia - a Bakugan thermos. (Again with the sideways picture - sorry.)
McIver took cupcakes to school to celebrate today. All of his friends told me they were delicious when I passed them in the hall today (I actually taught today so I saw his class a few times).

Today was a half-day at school and the start of Fall Break. McIver has wanted to walk on the nature trail at school since the day school started. But, Olivia was never interested and the weather was either too hot or too rainy for my taste. Olivia went home with a friend after school so today was the day. McIver was overjoyed when he realized we could take our time checking our spider webs, butterflies, the insides of logs and more.

Here he is at the start of the trail with one of several signs made my students - this one says: No Video Games ... Only Wild Game. Thought that was appropriate for my little guy!
After a quick lunch at home, I took McIver to see Where the Wild Things Are. Sadly, I do not recommend it for little kids. There were some issues that were just too old for him to understand and the relationships between the Wild Things were supposed to reflect the relationship between Max and his family. That went WAY over McIver's head. He just knew that Max ran away and was sad to be away from his mom. McIver AND the Wild Things spent a great deal of the movie with tears in their eyes.

I think I salvaged the afternoon by suggesting that we head to WalMart to choose Halloween costumes.

No comments: