Wednesday, August 19, 2009

McIver's 1st Day of Kindergarten

McIver popped right out of bed this morning just like he 'pinky swore' to me that he would last night.  He was so excited that it took him a while to fall asleep.  I was shocked that he woke up so easily.  We had to do some reminding for him to get through his 'morning list' (downstairs for breakfast, then back upstairs to brush teeth and hair, get dressed and make up the bed).

He was eager to have his picture made with his backpack on the front porch.  (That eagerness didn't last long, though, as you'll see in a picture with Olivia sporting her backpack.)
I started to get nervous a few times throughout the morning at home because McIver waffled back and forth between really excited about school and a little hesitant and anxious.  I drew a little heart on the inside of his hand and gave him a kiss there so he could hold his hand up to his cheek and get a kiss from Mom anytime he missed me during the day.  It totally worked!  Of course, once he got in the classroom, he was just fine.  He found his picture on the door, his new cubby and then the "feathered friends."
When I got to his classroom to pick him up at noon, the first thing his teacher said was, "Wow.  He IS a talker.  We're going to be working on that!"  McIver, unfazed, was busy working on this puzzle/pyramid and didn't even bother to get up when he saw me waiting for him.
I had a hard time locating Olivia in the 1st-day-after-school-pick-up confusion.  McIver was patient while I visited with some old and new friends and tried to hunt her down.  He had taken two of his favorite books to school and just sat down to read them until I found Olivia.

No comments: