Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Olivia's 1st day of 2nd Grade

Olivia had a great first day of school!  She fell asleep pretty easily last night despite how excited she was.  She was up before the alarm and went through her 'morning list' easily and on time.

Obligatory 1st day of school picture on the front porch.
Showing off her backpack - even though it's not new.  We learned our lesson the hard way.  I let Olivia pick out the less-expensive Disney Princesses backpack for kindergarten which didn't even last the whole year.  So, we bucked up and ordered the pricier backpack from Lands End which has paid off.  She has used it since mid-kindergarten and I don't see any signs of it falling apart any time soon.  So, instead of buying a new backpack every year, we let the kids pick out a new lunch kit.  Olivia surprised me this year by not choosing Hannah Montana.  Instead, she went with a blue lunch kit with little flowers and a matching water bottle.  (You can see McIver in the background; he was 'over' the photo shoot this morning!)
We went to the new student orientation for Lower School yesterday.  Olivia was able to meet her teachers, and their class pet,  Riley the Golden Retriever.  She loved having both teachers all to herself and had a chance to get used to a new routine - like signing in on the Smart Board each morning.  It's like a computer-savvy dry-erase board, I think.
Olivia found her seat, started her morning work, posed for a quick picture and then politely told me that I could 'go now.'  I was so proud of her for maintaining her excitement for the start of school and not being all clingy which is totally what I expected.  I guess she really is my big girl!
I'm also happy to report that she was still excited about school when I picked her up.  She and McIver were talking over each other on the ride home after school.  Even though it was a Noon Dismissal day, they covered a lot of ground in their respective classes.  Olivia was super-excited to tell me that I had homework from her teacher - she just thought that was hilarious!

No comments: