Wednesday, January 14, 2009

McIver's Move-related melt-down

McIver had his first (and I pray only!) move-related melt-down today at school. He was crying when his teacher brought him to the car. She told me that she thought it had something to do with our move to Columbia this summer. When I pulled the car over to ask him what was going on, he told me, "I don't want to move. I'm going to miss my friends."

When I pulled him on to my lap, he also told me that they "played an Octopus game today where Mrs. Jean was an octopus and we were all seahorses and she tagged me and I had to turn to seaweed so I lost." So, then I wasn't really sure what the actual problem was.

He climbed in his car seat and got all buckled in and wimpered all the way home like a little puppy. He told me, again, that he didn't want to move because he would miss his friends. I reminded him that he already has a few friends in Columbia (the Isemans and McKains) and that it will be so fun to make new friends at his new school. He seemed okay with that and then told me that "a little tv will make me feel better; and maybe some oranges and some orange juice." Then he said, "But I just want to see Amelia and JuliAnna." It was all running together so I'm still not sure what the actual problem was. The poor little guy just has a lot on his mind and stream-of-consciousness talking seemed to be the best way for him to work it all out.

He was fine the rest of the afternoon as he watched "a little tv" and played with friends at church. But, tonight when I went in to check on him, he was still awake and wimpering again when I went into his room. He told me he's still sad about moving and got out an old board book we have about babies. He turned to the page with the 'sad' babies and told me that's how he feels.

********************************************************
The Monkey Class, McIver's class at school, is talking about the letter O this week. They have lots of great Olympic activities planned and have also been talking about Occupations. McIver was surprised to learn that his teachers both had other jobs before becoming teachers. He has always talked about wanting to be a construction worker when he grows up. He has also mentioned marine biologist and paleontologist as possible jobs. But, before we left for school this morning, he told me that he wants to be a magician when he grows up and he knows that there's a 'special school where I can learn magical tricks.' Then, when we were in the car, he told me he wants to be an astronaut. I assured him that if he studies hard, he can be whatever he wants to be. I told him that Cacoo has been to space camp in Huntsville, AL. He told me that was silly - 'space camp is on Mars!' Then he got really quiet.

I asked him what was wrong and he told me: I'm just so confused. I can't even decide what to be when I grow up!

See... I told you he has a lot going on in that little mind of his!

2 comments:

Kelli Merritt said...

That makes me teary! Poor little one, he's just all mixed up today. Hope he has a better day tomorrow. Amelia sends big hugs and kisses to "Keeber" and "Ye-ya"!

Christa said...

This really does break my heart. Moving is so hard for kids AND adults! I've often wondered if Carter will struggle when we move from NC in 2010...she will be almost 4.