Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ten Good Things About Murphy

The kids and I read a book tonight called The Tenth Good Thing About Barney. I checked it out from the library at school with the hopes that it would help us be able to talk about Murphy and not be so sad about his death. After I choked my way through it, we managed to come up with our own list... (these are direct quotes and are attributed to the appropriate child or grown-up).

10 Good Things About Murphy
1 (MM) I like to throw the dummy for him.
2 (OM) He sleeps on my rug.
3 (MM) He was very nice for us and I want him to stay.
4 (OM) I like to scratch him on the head and brush him.
5 (MM) He was very nice and I really liked him.
6 (NM) He was always excited when Daddy came home.
7 (OM) When we took him on walks, he was really happy.
8 (OM) Whenever we scratched him, he would shed so much we could make another dog out of all his fur.
9 (NM) He was sweet to Charlotte.
10 (MM) He was very nice and so I wanted to keep him.


We have been doing some research about new puppies. I found a breeder in Sumter, SC and plan to take the children there this weekend to meet the puppies who will be available to bring home next weekend. Will is out of town this weekend so he will take them back next weekend to decide if one of those puppies can come home. We already have a name for our new puppy and so, here are... (again with direct quotes)

10 Good Things to Do for Tex
1 (OM) Buy him a bed and dog toys.
2 (MM) We can teach him tricks. I have a lot of tricks to teach him.
3 (OM & MM) We have to take him on walks every day.
4 (OM) When we say we don't have anything to do, Mommy will say, "Go play with Tex."
5 (OM) One of our chores will be to play with him outside.
6 (MM) We can teach him to jump through a hoop.
7 (OM) We can brush his fur once a week.
8 (MM) We can help him go up the stairs.
9 (OM) We can take Tex to a dog park. (McIver: Murphy loved that dog park - referring to the one in Houston with a pond, fire hydrant and dog-sized water fountain.)
10 (OM & MM) We can let Skittles (the neighbors' dog) and Tex have puppy play-dates.

No comments: