Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Beach ... finally!

I can't believe it has taken almost half of the summer break to get us back down to the beach.  Not that I'm complaining, we've been to the mountains with the YaYas, the kids have been to camp and we've been to the pool and the lake, but there's just something about being able to put my toes in the sand.

We got to Myrtle Beach on Thursday afternoon.  As soon as we unloaded the car, we immediately loaded up the golf cart with the pool bag, boogie boards, beach toys and towels.  Olivia and McIver went straight into the surf with their boogie boards.  Unfortunately, I didn't even think to grab my camera on Thursday.  But, never fear!  Friday was pretty much a replay of Thursday, so I do have plenty of pictures...

Will's parents are down at the Creek House in Murrell's Inlet and asked that we feed the bluebirds.  It's so cool to watch Mama Bird swoop out of the bird box and fetch worms for her babies.  Ginny told me they hatched about five days ago.  Mama Bird didn't even wait for me to back up before she flew to the bowl.

Then I made a move to get my camera situated and she gave me the evil eye.

Olivia with her boogie board.  She didn't miss a beat as she headed for the surf.

It didn't take long to find just the right wave to ride in.

Waiting for the perfect wave.

Mac found one, too.

Check out my cute little guy!  He LOVED boogie boarding and kept telling me the blow-by-blow of every wave he rode.

After the beach, we hit the pool for a little while and ran into some of the SOBs ("Sons - and daughters - Of the Beach").  Once again I didn't have my camera handy.  It's always fun to visit with everyone who grew up here.  Monday night is the big, big, big Dunes Club July 4th party.  I heard that there are 1500 reservations which means that it will be a ZOO and nearly impossible to have any sort of conversation with anyone.  But, it will be a good time - band, food, hula hoop contests, bounce houses and a nice ocean breeze (my fingers are crossed for that last one!).  

We had dinner at home and then an evening golf cart ride.  McIver was thrilled to have his turn first.

Olivia is getting to be a pretty good driver.

No comments: